Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Advice

A Christian group has put up a set of large boards on campus with a topic written in big letters at the top, and room for passersby to write their comments on the topic below. Among the topics is "How Sex Can Hurt People." I feel that groups trying to make a somewhat controversial point are generally unwise to allow this sort of open space for uncontrolled audience participation.

Scrawled in large black crayon at the bottom of the board is one response: "a girl getting fucked by a horse." Insofar as the Christians want to carry an anti-bestiality message to the masses, I suppose this helps their cause. But occasioning the thought of horse bestiality in others is probably contrary to their intention.

Update: Amanda has a picture! (No, not of horses having sex with girls. It's a picture of the board.) And on Aidan's point about the factivity of knowledge, look here.

7 comments:

Aidan said...

I noticed that one of the other questions on the same stand as the one you mention asks 'When does knowledge conflict with truth?'. Um, never, knowledge is factive. I didn't read the replies.

Amanda Marcotte said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandamarcotte/120550768/

I took a photo of it. What I find interesting is that they covered up the word "does" and replaced it with "can". Someone reminded them that they're supposed to pretend to hold out some hope that you can both be in their religion and obtain sexual satisfaction one day without being a sinner.

Aidan said...

You can see a bit of the board I was referring to on the left of the picture. But much more gratifying is that someone has written in giant letter and a smiley face NO LUBE

Sirkowski said...

May the horse be with you!

Nick Beaudrot said...

You know you just wrote this post to increase the number of hits from google, right?

Neil Sinhababu said...

Nick, I actually think about that every time I write one of these posts. The real driver, though, is just that bestiality is a topic that has been addressed by the biggest hedonic utilitarians of the past (Bentham) and the present (Singer). So I sort of feel like I'm following in the footsteps of my forbears when writing blog posts that discuss sex with animals.

Anonymous said...

What about a mule getting fucked by Neal Horsley?