Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Curse you Jeff Mangum!

My love of two Neutral Milk Hotel songs -- "Holland, 1945" and "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" -- has reached the level of addiction. I've played them each at least a dozen times each since Monday morning. When I listen to other music, I do so restlessly and without enjoyment. After Nadia closed her computer yesterday, taking them out of the shared music pool, I stole things to get my fix. Is there a rehab program or something for this? The songs are truly wonderful, but I can't live the rest of my life this way.

4 comments:

Brandon said...

I think I put my whole NMH collection on that mix CD-R I made you! You should bring it to school and put all the songs on your computer so you don't have to depend on Nadia.

speaking said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
speaking said...

God, I know the feeling. He even invades my dreams:
http://kantansaynes.blogspot.com/2005/05/cinco-de-mangum.html

Neil Sinhababu said...

Brandon, I don't think I got any Neutral Milk Hotel -- it's not on CD 1, and I don't recall it being on CD 2, but I'll check again when I bring 2 here from home. I do have lots of Olivia Tremor Control, which I understand to be another Mangum project.

I've been meaning to tell you about those CDs -- I enjoyed a lot of the stuff on there. Uncle Tupelo was probably the biggest discovery. I could really get into this alt-country thing! By the way, did you meet Dan Korman near the end of your time here? He's into that genre, Drive-By Truckers in particular.

When I'd heard the Smiths before, I hadn't liked them very much, but Ask is now one of my favorite pop songs and I've developed a fair degree of Morrissey appreciation. I was also pleased to acquire more Sleater-Kinney and Blonde Redhead, whom my sister had introduced me to recently. The Promise Ring is a simple pleasure easily appreciated. "New Slang" is definitely a keeper. And there's going to be a good bit more Neil Young in my future than there would've been without your intervention. The only real clunker, as far as I'm concerned, was that "Lioness" guy, who struck me as tiresome. Also, I haven't developed any appreciation for Mission of Burma yet.

More when we talk later.